Ransomware – What is it and how to watch for it
May 26, 2021
Ransom malware, or ransomware, is a type of malware that prevents users from accessing their system or personal files and demands ransom payment in order to regain access.
The number one cause of Ransomware is phishing emails.
How to prevent and identify:
- Install an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner on your device.
- Always be aware of any links and attachments. Do not click on any links or attachments that look suspicious.
- Do not respond to concerning messages. Hackers are looking to confirm the email address is valid.
- Look out for spoof email addresses. Hackers will use l (L) to look like 1 (one) to confuse recipients. Double check URLs to confirm authenticity.
- Dodgy spelling. Hackers will misspell common words and address the recipient in a broad manner, “Mr. Customer.”
- Urgency! Hackers will provide a sense of urgency or a time limit to respond.
- Complete and review Security Awareness Training
As always, we thank you for your support and cooperation. For questions or comments, please email us at Compliance@YourFMO.com or you may call the toll-free number listed below.
FOR AGENT USE ONLY. NOT FOR USE WITH CONSUMERS.
Compliance Updates | 2650 McCormick Drive | Clearwater, FL 33759 | 844.206.2927